Who Is Eligible?
Applicants may be U.S. citizens and residents of the United States or American citizens resident abroad. Foreign nationals not affiliated with U.S. institutions are eligible to apply for projects to be carried out in the United States, although applicants to the Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research in Astrobiology must be U.S. citizens, U.S. residents, or foreign nationals formally affiliated with a U.S. institution. Grant recipients may reapply after an interval of two years.
Grants are made to individuals. Institutions are not eligible to apply.
See specific programs for additional information.
The deadlines for the following programs are RECEIPT deadlines for all materials, including letters of support, unless otherwise noted. If the posted deadline falls on a weekend or a holiday, the deadline is the following business day.
- Blumberg Grants in Astrobiology: February 16; notification in April
- Daland Fellowships: September 15; notification in January
- Franklin Research Grants: October 1 and December 1; notification in January and March.
- Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research: November 16 for applications, November 12 for letters of support; notification in March.
- Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research in Astrobiology: February 16; notification in May
- Phillips Fund Grants: March 1; notification in May
Online and Electronic Transmission
Submission of applications through our online portal is required for the Franklin Research Grants, the Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research Grants, and the Phillips Fund for Native American Research Grants.
Electronic submission is encouraged for the Baruch Blumberg Grants in Astrobiology and the Lewis and Clark Fund for Exploration and Field Research in Astrobiology. Completed forms and letters of support should be attached to an email. Applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and letters should be sent to email@example.com. Attached documents must be compatible with Microsoft Word for Windows software. Our system does not always receive Mac, jpeg, tiff, rtf, and dat files.
Applications to the Daland Fellowship program are to be submitted as hard copy in the required number. Letters of reference may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grants and fellowships are taxable income, but the APS is not required to report payments. It is recommended that grant and fellowship recipients discuss their reporting obligations with their tax advisors.