These 12-month fellowships are intended for advanced Ph.D. students working toward the completion of the dissertation. The caliber of the project, and evidence that the project will be completed in a timely manner, are the two most important criteria for selection. The selection committee will also take into consideration the need to be at the APS Library and other research institutions in the Philadelphia area. Applicants whose research overlaps any of the three categories listed above may submit applications to all pertinent programs.
In addition to affiliations mentioned with each of the fellowships, all applicants will also have the opportunity to participate in APS programming and affairs.
Stipend: $25,000 for 12 months will be awarded to all successful applicants, paid in monthly installments after arrival in the Library.
All application materials will be submitted online. Applicants must submit:
- Curriculum vitae
- A cover letter that discusses the current status of the dissertation and description of the work proposed to be completed on the fellowship
- A dissertation proposal (2-4 pages double-spaced)
- A sample chapter from their dissertation not to exceed 25 double-spaced pages
- Three letters of reference in support of the project and applicant
- For those working on a community-based project, a letter of support from the Indigenous community where the work is based is highly recommended.
Application Deadline: January 29, 2021. Notifications will be sent by mid-April.