APS Covid Vaccine and Masking Policies
Updated April 22, 2022
General Mask and Vaccination Policies
As of April 22, 2022, consistent with recently revised guidance and policy of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the City of Philadelphia, it is no longer necessary for most staff and visitors to wear masks within APS facilities. Please note the exceptions below for researchers using the Library Reading Room.
All visitors to APS offices or public events must present proof of vaccination upon arrival.
Visitors to the APS Museum exhibition must reserve timed tickets in advance and remain masked while indoors.
Reading Room Access Policies
After the completion of renovations in Library Hall, service to researchers in the Reading Room has been expanded as of February 28, 2022.
The Library is open to all researchers who demonstrate a need to use the unique resources under its care. Upon arrival, prospective readers will be asked to complete registration, providing their name, current address, institutional affiliation (if any), and two forms of identification, at least one with a photograph. Researchers may also complete registration for an AEON account before they arrive onsite.
All visitors to the Reading Room must make an appointment through [email protected]
- All library materials are paged for you. All requests for research materials must be made through the APS website and our online catalog and finding aids. An Aeon account is needed to place requests. We encourage researchers to make requests before their arrival so their materials can be pulled in advance. While there is no limit to the number of requests that can be made, we will only pull six boxes, 10 folders, or six printed volumes at one time. Researchers can only use one box or volume at a time.
- All researchers are required to show proof of having received a COVID vaccination and a booster shot. Researchers can use the library two weeks after three shots of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine and two weeks after a second shot of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. If a researcher is not yet eligible for a booster, they will be allowed into the Reading Room. Please bring your vaccination card or a photo of it on your cell phone. Researchers who cannot verify their vaccination status will not be admitted to the library.
- If you are exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19, please stay home. You may be asked to leave or denied entry if you exhibit any symptoms while visiting the library.
- Masks are required to be worn at all times while in the library. We recommend N-95 or KN-95 masks.
- Only pencils and laptop computers (with power supply) and hand-held digital cameras are permitted in the reading room.
- Secure lockers are available for storing bags, computer cases, coats, and other items not permitted in the reading room.
Please note the Reading Room could close at any time due to COVID considerations. Please plan your travel arrangements accordingly. If you are traveling to visit the APS, consider getting trip insurance or reimbursable tickets.