Rights & Reproduction
The American Philosophical Society provides photo-reproductions in reasonable amounts for scholarly use under the following conditions:
- Fees are assessed for services in identifying, copying, and mailing duplicates.
- The APS reserves the right not to duplicate any book or manuscript that in the judgment of the staff may be harmed in the process. Photocopy orders are limited to no more than 400 exposures.
- Except for brief excerpts, material under copyright will not be duplicated without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. Researchers assume sole responsibility for any infringement of copyright.
- Copies are prepared solely for the use of the researcher and may not be placed in other repositories without the prior written permission of the APS.
- Microfilm and color transparencies are made available only as loans to individual researchers, and must be returned to the Library. Microfilm is available on loan for six months, renewable upon request for up to an additional six months. Transparencies are available for six months.
Inquiries or requests for photoduplication of original materials in the APS Library collections may be addressed to the Manuscripts Department (manuscripts [at] amphilsoc [dot] org) or the Printed Materials Department (books [at] amphilsoc [dot] org). Please email only one department. Orders must include a complete name and mailing address, a clear statement of which item(s) you wish reproduced, and an indication of what format you require (see below under Fee schedule).
Orders for books published by the APS should be addressed through Publications Department.
- 40¢ per exposure
- 75¢ per color exposure
- Duplication of existing film(s): $30.00 per reel
- Except by special arrangements, the APS does not do original filming
- Photographic Services
- Glossy print, 8" x 10": $20.00
- Color transparency, 4x5" (rental use only): $40.00 (NOTE: Existing transparencies only. We no longer create new transparencies)
- 35 mm slide, first duplicate: $10.00
- 35 mm slide, additional duplicates: $2.50 (NOTE: Both prices are for existing slides only. We no longer create new slides)
- Digital Images
- Existing image, 300 d.p.i. jpeg: $15.00
- Original image, 300 d.p.i. jpeg: $20.00 (NOTE: Original images of large format items or of objects that require special handling have additional fees)
- Audio Services
- $10.00 per hour (or part thereof; $10.00 minimum)
- $2.00 per CD-ROM or DVD
- Postage and Handling
- $3.00 minimum
- Rush Orders
- Cost of items (not usage fees) doubled
- $50.00 minimum for total order, not counting shipping
- Not available for microfilm, large format items, for image orders over 5 images, or photocopy orders over 100 pages
- $25.00 minimum for overnight shipping, unless the patron provides an account
- Deposits and Payments
- Photocopy orders over $50.00: a deposit of half the estimated cost is required
- Image orders over $75.00: a deposit of half the estimated cost is required
- $10.00 minumum required for credit card orders
For special orders, please contact the APS Manuscripts Department (manuscripts [at] amphilsoc [dot] org).
Requests for permission to publish
To request permission to publish from the APS's collection use the Permission Form availabe online or by contacting the APS Manuscripts Department (manuscripts [at] amphilsoc [dot] org).
Instructions for Requesting Permission to Publish
- Requests for permission to publish original materials held in the APS Library collections, whether previously published or unpublished, must be made in writing in advance.
- Requests for permission to publish original materials held in the collections of the APS may be addressed to the Manuscripts Librarian by e-mail or surface mail.
Requests for republication of articles, monographs, or other works published by the APS should be directed to the APS Publications Department
- ALL REQUESTS for permission must be accompanied by a cover letter providing information on the nature of the publication (including print run when appropriate), and acknowledging that use fees may apply. Faxes are not accepted.
- Except for brief excerpts, material under copyright cannot be duplicated without the written permission of the copyright owner.
- Full responsibility for any infringement of copyright is assumed by the person requesting publication.
- Permission to publish is granted for one-time, non-exclusive, world-wide rights, solely for the project and medium specified in the agreement. Permission is granted for the life of the project.
- Hard copies of all permission requests must be signed, dated, and submitted in duplicate to the Manuscripts Department by surface mail.
- Not-for-profit publication: $40.00 per image
- Commercial publication: $150.00 per image
- Not-for-profit, cover or endpaper: $100.00 per image
- Commerical publication, cover or endpaper: $400.00 per image
Same Day Fees for Reading Room Patrons
- Photocopies: 50¢ per exposure (limit 20 pages)
- Color Photocopies: 75¢ per exposure (limit 20 pages)
- Digital photography by researcher: $15.00 for 50 reference images per visit (hand-held camera, no flash)
- Photocopies from microfilm: 40¢ per page
American Philosophical Society Library
105 South Fifth Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-3386