Phillips Fund Recipients
Bahar, Matthew, University of Oklahoma
The People of the Dawnland and Their Atlantic World
Bilodeau, Christopher J., Dickinson College
Violence, Religion, and the Wabanaki Confederacy in the Northeast Borderlands, 1600–1765
Bochnak, M. Ryan, University of Chicago
Aspects of Morphosyntax and Semantics in Washo
Bunn-Marcuse, Kathryn B., University of Washington
Fieldnotes from Fort Rupert: Studies of Kwakiutl Song, Dance, and Movement by Franz Boas
Decoster, Jonathan, Brandeis University
Native Rivalry and Imperial Competition in the Colonial Southeast, 1564–1614
Delucia, Christine, Yale University
Making Past and Place in the Northeast After King Philip's War
Elliott, Jennifer, University of Virginia
Architecture, Material Culture, and Hybrid Identities in the American South, 1780–1830
Gordon, Sarah, Indiana University
Health, Healing, and the Stories of the Sahtuot'ine
Harper, Mattie, University of California, Berkeley
The Minnesota Ojibwe Warrior Identity and the U.S. Military
Hasselbacher, Stephanie R., College of William and Mary
Linguistic Ethnohistory of the Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana
Joy, Natalie I., Georgia State University
Indian Removal and the Problem of Slavery
Kiel, Doug, University of Wisconsin, Madison
The Oneida Resurgence: Modern Indian Renewal in the Heart of America
Lovick, Olga, First Nations University
Conversation in Upper Tanana Athabascan
Mancini, Jason R., University of Connecticut
Indians, Maritime Labor, and Indigenous Intersections
Morse, Stephanie, University of California, Santa Barbara
Documenting Plant Names and Plant Terminology in Odawa
Mosteller, Kelli, University of Texas, Austin
Negotiating Allotment and Citizenship for the Citizen Potawatomi, 1861–1891
Quinn, Conor M., University of Nizwa
Under-Documented Minor Genres of Passamaquoddy-Maliseet Speech
Tone-Pah-Hote, Jenny E., University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Kiowa Expressive Culture, 1875–1939
- Berez, Andrea, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Documenting the Discourse Structure of Ahtna
- Cox, Michael L. , University of California, Riverside
- The Sandusky Wyandots: A Persistent People, 1795–1843
- Deal, Amy R. , University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Semantics of Verbal Inflection in Nez Perce
- Garner, Sandra, Ohio State University
- Roads to and From Sun Dance: Reclamations and Revitalization of an Indigenous Religious Ritual
- Holden, Joshua, University of Montreal
- Lexical Relations in an Athabaskan Language
- Jordan, Michael, University of Oklahoma
- Descendents' Organizations and Historical Consciousness in Kiowa Society
- Kaufman, David, University of Kansas
- Reconstructing Mohegan Through Penobscot
- Leonard, Janet, University of Victoria
- The Interaction of Morphology and Phonology in SENCOTEN
- Miguel, Phillip, Prescott College
- Audio and Video Documentation of Tohono O'odham Genres
- Oakley, Christopher A. , East Carolina University
- The Pursuit of Tribal Self-Sufficiency: Economic Development and the Eastern Band of Cherokees
- Obermeyer, Brice M. , Emporia State University
- Federal Acknowledgement and the San Juan Southern Paiute: A Study of Culture Change in a Formerly Indian Tribe
- Patterson, Carol, Mesa State College
- Northern Ute Ethnohistory, 1882 to 1934
- Pierre, Tracey L. , Queen’s College, Cambridge University
- The Southern Athapaskan Migration: A Reanalysis Based on mtDNA
- Plane, Ann M. , University of California, Santa Barbara
- Colonialism and the Cultural Meaning of Dreams in Seventeenth-Century New England
- Prevost, Hugues, School of Oriental and African Studies
- An Analysis of Inversion in Western Abenaki
- Reiser, Christine N. , Brown University
- Community Keeping and Movement in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century Native Southern New England
- Rice, Alanna, Queen's University
- Algonquians, Christianity, and Missions: A Case for Creolization in Colonial America
- Riley Sousa, Ashley, Yale University
- Indian Labor in Nineteenth-Century California: The Case of New Helvetia
- Shoemaker, Scott M. , University of Minnesota
- Kiilaahkwaliaminciki They Speak to Us: Reinterpreting the Meanings of Miami Objects
- Tomblin, David, Virginia Tech
- The Role of Ecological Restoration in the Political Revitalization of the White Mountain Apache Tribe, 1933–2000
- Trechter, Sara, California State University, Chico
- Nominalization, Relative Clauses in Mandan Text
- Turner, Claire K. , University of Surrey
- Representing Events and Participants in SENCOTEN
- Anoatubby, Joe M., University of North Carolina
- The Chickasaw People, 1785-1860
- Barker, Alexander W., Dallas Museum of Natural History
- The Powhatan Paramountcy, 1560-1612
- Bechter, Frank, and Hibbard, Stephen, University of Chicago
- Crow and Plains Sign Talk Narratives
- Boyle, John P., University of Chicago
- Investigation of Hidatsa Grammar
- Cowell, James A., University of Colorado
- Arapaho Verbal Morphology
- Elliott, Gabrielle, University of Nebraska
- Women and Repatriation
- Haefeli, Evan, Princeton University
- The Deerfield Massacre and the Northeastern Frontier
- Jones, Timothy W., University of Arizona
- History of the Western Cherokee
- Kim, Eun-Sook, University of British Columbia
- Glottalization in Nuu-chah-nulth
- Laverty, Philip B., University of New Mexico
- The Esselen, an Unacknowledged California Indian People
- Miller, Gwenn A., Duke University
- Native women and Russian Men in Alaska, 1784-1820
- Oakley, Christopher A., University of Tennessee
- American Indian Identity in Eastern North Carolina
- Obermeyer, Brice M., University of Oklahoma
- Historical Transformation of Pojoaque Pueblo
- Pickering, Kathleen A., Colorado State University
- Cash Consumption and Labor Allocations on the Pine Ridge Reservation
- Shackelford, Alan G., Indiana University
- The American Bottom: Crossroads of Early America
- Shepherd, Jeffrey P., Arizona State University
- The Hualapai Nation in the Twentieth Century
- Sweet, John W., Catholic University of America
- The Narragansett and the Move to Brothertown
- Znamenski, Andrei A.., Alabama State University
- Dena'ina Indians and the Russian Orthodox Church, 1849-1867
- Zuyderhoudt, Lea M., Leyden University
- Accounts of Blackfoot Women
- Alderete, John D.
- Tahltan Stress: Phonetics and Phonology
- Barthmaier, Paul T.
- Lushootseed Discourse Data
- Caplow, Nancy J.
- Western Abenaki Discourse
- Craver, Amy J.
- Influence of Environmental Changes on Inupiaq Hunting
- Golla, Victor K.
- Inventory of Sapir's Nootka Work
- Hahn, Steven C.
- The Creek Confederacy, 1633-1763
- Herndon, Ruth W.
- The Narragansett People and Rhode Island Officials
- Holton, Gary M.
- Tanacross Language Documentation Project
- Ishii, Izumi
- Cherokee temperance Movement in the Nineteenth Century
- Keating, Neal B.
- Historical Anthropology of Onondaga Art
- Kosmider, Alexia
- Writings of Creek Writer Charles Gibson
- Maddra, Sam Ann
- The 1891-1892 Tour of Britain by Buffalo Bill
- Martin, Jack B.
- The Creek Texts of Mary Haas, vols. 16-22
- Medicine, Beatrice
- An Ethnohistory of the Wakpala Community
- Meya, Wilhelm K.
- Oglala Oral History and Winter Counts
- More, Anna H.
- An Edition of Alonso de Benavides' Memorial of 1634
- Nakayama, Toshihide
- Lexical Suffixes in Ahousaht Nuu-chah-nulth
- Ng, Eve C.
- Fieldwork on Passamaquoddy
- Nichols, David A.
- Indian Relations and American Political
- O'Neill, Sean P.
- Hupa Texts, and Comparative Work with Yurok and Karok
- Roy, Christopher A.
- Nineteenth-century Abenaki Fusion
- Schrager, Bradley S.
- Spanish and English Colonialism, 1660-1715
- Shuck, Sheri M.
- The Alabamas and Coushattas, 1500-1859
- Warren, Stephen A.
- Emergence of the Shawnee Nation
- Bender, Margaret
- Contemporary Usage of the Cherokee Syllabary
- Berman, Judith E.
- History of a Tlingit Family
- Blain, Eleanor M.
- Binding Effects in Plains Cree
- Brightman, Robert A.
- Algonquian-Iroquoian Dreaming
- Brooks, James F.
- The Borderlands Community of New Mexico, 1780-1880
- Carter, William
- Cultural Clash in Early Texas, 1500-1800
- Den Ouden, Amy E.
- Political Mobilization among Native Populations in Eighteenth-century New England
- Ethridge, Robbie F.
- Benjamin Hawkins and the Creek Agency in the Eighteenth Century
- Green, Adriana G.
- Historic Development of Lakota Regalia, 1850-1920
- Jackson, Deborah D.
- Ojibwa Discursive Practices at Sault Saint Marie
- McDonough, Joyce M.
- Phonetics and Phonology of Navajo and Jicarilla Apache
- Meadows, William C.
- Southern Plains Military Societies, 1800 to the Present
- Melnar, Lynette R.
- Caddo Syntax
- Miller, Amy
- Plains Miwok Language
- Nakayama, Toshihide
- The Ahousaht Dialect of Nuuchahnulth
- Nichols, Lynn
- Zuni Primary and Secondary Suffixation
- Ono, Tsuyoshi
- Tachi Dialect of Yokuts
- Orser, Brenda I. L.
- Pharyngeal Resonants in Interior Salish, Spokane
- Price, Catherine
- History of the Pine Ridge Reservation, 1879-1934
- Silentman, Irene J.
- Intergenerational Study of Navajo Language Change
- Sistrunk, Sara
- Male-Female Speech in Lakhota
- Stenger, Mark R.
- Zuni Language in Informal Instruction
- Taff, Alice
- Aleut Morpheme Ordering
- Thorne, Tanis C.
- Ethnohistory of the Mission Indian Federation
- Thornton, Thomas F.
- Northern Tlingit Place Names
- Wagner, Sally Roesch
- Iroquois Roots of American Feminism
- Wagoner, Paula L.
- Bear Butte, South Dakota: Cheyenne, Lakota and State Park Claims
- Wallace, Pamela S.
- Yuchi Social Structure